- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts, skins removed, ground- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbs hazelnut cream (like nutella)
- 2 tbsp Frangelico or any other hazelnut liqueur
1. Roast a cup of hazelnuts in a shallow pan or under grill until skin starts to peel. Remove allow to cool and rub off skin.
2. Pulse in food processor and grind to desired consistency. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, simmer milk and cream for 2 min but do not boil.
4. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale.
5. Pour 1/3 cup of milk/cream mixture into egg/sugar mixture and whisk.
6. Transfer back into saucepan, add hazelnut spread and continue stirring until thin custard forms (coats back of spoon and when you streak your finger, spoon stays clean). If you want a darker colour add more hazelnut spread or a 1 tsp of dutch cocoa.
7. Pour into large bowl and set aside for 2 hours to cool to room temperature. If you're after a smoother gelato pour mixture through sieve (or don't- I like to discover little flecks of hazelnut- yum!)
8. Ensure bowl for ice cream maker is frozen (needs 6 hours in freezer, I've resorted to leaving it in there until the next time creativity hits)
9. Add frangelico to cooled mixture, pour into ice cream machine and let it do it's thing for 30-40 min.
10. Transfer it into airtight container and allow to set further for another 2 hours in freezer before indulging!!!
occasionally. Chill custard, covered, until cold. Freeze in an ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.